Payroll Tax Analyst
Responsible for overseeing multi-state payroll tax requirements for clients located throughout the United States. The Payroll Tax Analyst will work with minimum supervision on the quarterly analysis and reconciliation of all tax data prior to the preparation and payment of the payroll taxes. Will be responsible for the research of fringe benefit taxation and reporting and determine proper locality taxation requirements. Will be responsible for the research and reconciliation of client billing/tax payments to ensure amounts have been collected or refunded appropriately. In addition, will prepare and file tax returns, amend tax returns, reconcile W-2 data, and any other tax related functions as required. Will assist Tax Manager and Payroll Tax Supervisor with all departmental functions
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Filing of taxes for multiple states
- Research of locality taxation requirements and ensure correct codes are used for locality taxes
- Reconcile and Balance tax reports (i.e. year-end, quarterly)
- Prepare tax returns and file returns as required
- Research and resolve any tax related discrepancies when applicable
- Document new/revised departmental processes and procedures for training purposes
- Train tax analyst staff
- Research and gather all year-end electronic reporting specs, update year-end due dates, and provide documentation to Development for any changes needed to ensure accurate year-end W2 reporting
- Audit and identify any billing variances between systems and make appropriate entries to correct
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability which the employer believes are required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Displays integrity, professionalism and the ability to deal with highly confidential information.
- Ability to research and identify problems, formulate and implement solutions.
- Detail oriented with a high degree of accuracy, ability to detect inconsistencies in data.
- Knowledge of and experience with payroll tax reporting and compliance issues.
- Ability to meet deadlines and handle responsibility with limited supervision.
- Possess exceptional customer service skills and the ability to analyze a client environment
Education and/or Experience
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) or Enrolled Agent (EA) preferred
- 15 years of related experience in billing, audit, analysis, and reconciliation
- Payroll Tax (Multi-State) experience strongly preferred
Detailed and Working knowledge of the following:
- Payroll Processing and Human Resource systems (i.e. MasterTax )
- Internet software
- Spreadsheet software
- Word Processing software
- Advanced knowledge and ability to process reports required for reconciliation purposes